Sunday 18 August 2013

Class Exercise 1: What is sequential art?

For an art piece to be considered as a sequential art, it needs to have a few characteristics. There may be differing thoughts on what sequential art is but this is how I see sequential art. 
These characteristics are 
1) There needs to be a clear sequence which allows the reader derive meaning from reading it. 
2) There is a focus group/target which enables the author to tell a story. (Something like main lead)
3) There needs to be substantial amount of art. (That is to say that there are more pictures than words)
4) The readers need to be able to see development in the art piece. 


These are standard examples of sequential art where the frames tell a story, there is a clear sequence and there is a focus in the story. Most comics are like that. 

While there may be a few clear cut examples of sequential art, most of the art pieces are very ambiguous. I would consider this to be a sequential art because I am able to tell what the sequence is, who is the main focus and there is some sort of development through the "frames". 

While there is a clear sequence. the graphics seem to play a secondary role in storytelling. I wouldn't consider this to be a sequential art. 

This posed a larger problem for me as I can't tell what is exactly is this. As much as I tried to force a story out of it, I failed miserably. So I would not consider this to be a sequential art. 




No comments:

Post a Comment