Friday 27 September 2013

Thought processes and considerations for Assignment 2

I took a leap of faith, jumping into a comic which I have not showed the class for critique. instead of all the long comics that the class have drawn, I decided to draw a series of short comics instead. 

So, I took awhile, thought about the contemporary issues that is happening in Singapore. All the stuffs about flash floods, fogs, hot weather, overpopulation, I came out with my own response to these problems. I don't think "deep" comics are my style of drawing, I prefer these short and sweet, slapstick comics. Since, I am no deep thinker by all means. 

The comic style I am heading towards is slapstick comedy, with slight injection of irony, which I used to provoke thoughts among readers. These exaggerated actions, thoughts, behaviors and activities exceeds the boundaries of common sense. For example, swimming or surfboarding in the flood, or peeping using the fog as disguise, that is just unthinkable. However, my point is that, I emphasize, injecting a humor into our daily problems, hoping that people will just joke about the problems we all faces, NOT forgeting the problems, but just looking past the problems so we won't feel sad all the time. 

I used a lot of Singlish in the comic as I think that it is what makes a reader familiar with the comic. Since the context is Singapore, how can a comic without a slight injection of Singlish be a comic about Singapore? It is, I guess not very suitable for global scenes but it also raises the question of whether Singlish is indeed, a form of Singapore identity. 

I used HDBs in all the second panels because I feel that HDBs are one of the Singaporean identity, which makes us stand out from other countries. All these blocks houses more than 70% of the Singaporean population. It is also the group who will be affected most by whatever problems which Singapore faces, be it, over population, economy crisis, job unemployment, income inequality etc. They are in fact, probably the most unhappy group in Singapore. (assuming the riches aren't really sad about being rich)

No comments:

Post a Comment